All of these copyright infringement laws need to take a
major step back and allow people to see how crazy with power the government has become. I
read an article titled “Could Pinterest become the next Napster?” and laughed
immediately at the title alone. For those of you who are unfamiliar with
Pinterest, which I was, people basically “pin” items and images that they found
on the Internet to their virtual bulletin board. They “pin up” anything from
recipes, workouts, or even craft projects. The issue here is that the law
states you cannot “pin” anything that doesn’t belong to you, but the website’s
intention led users to believe otherwise and use their site as a way to
bookmark and share fascinating items that are floating around random cyber
space. Napster, on the complete other side of the spectrum, was strictly for
sharing copyrighted music and movies for free, not to share fun and interesting
items! Sites like Pinterest are giving odd-blogs the hits they need to feel
like someone out there is reading the posts. And I would personally be
flattered if someone “pinned” one of my recipes to their bulletin board for all
to see. I don’t see the harm of this one at all…

The copyright issues with Pinterest are actually really interesting. I understand how it might not seem as serious as the copyright infringement that took place with Naptser, but their is still stealing of copyrighted works. For example, say you find a beautiful photograph on the internet and decide to pin it onto your Pinboard. Now, this image is out of the control of the owner and could be used without his permission for someone else to make a profit. I love Pinterest and do think some of this is out of control because Pinterest wouldn't be as great if you could only pin orginal content. My blog is all about the copyright issues Pinterest is facing now and how it affects personal and brand account. So if you would like to learn more please visit! http://pinsanity-blog.blogspot.com/
ReplyDeleteInteresting. I really never thought about copyright infringement while pinning on Pintrest. How this will play out I have no idea. I just hope I do not lose my Pintrest. LOL I absolutely love it.
ReplyDeleteAbsolutely ridiculous! I mean, does the government even know what Pinterest is about? If people really want their information protected then they should specify that and make it so that their information cannot be shared. Aside from that, people should have the freedom to share their property for fun and have others share on a protected site like Pinterest. No harm no foul right?
ReplyDelete